20 August 2014

Niki's Kitchen Cafe – Newcastle, Northern Ireland

Last Wednesday marked the beginning of two and a half glorious weeks off work. The first thing planned was a little trip to Northern Ireland with my best friend, Bethan. We got back on Sunday night and I am so relaxed right now – it is wonderful.

Bethan and I got up at 3am on Wednesday and drove to the airport to catch a plane to Belfast, where Karen and her two girls Megan and Erin picked us up.

After two naps (we're old ladies) Karen drove us to Newcastle for a coffee. Niki's is the place to go, apparently, and we loved it so much we went back a second time on Saturday for an ulster fry.

But first things first. We went for coffee about 4 o'clock on Wednesday when it was quiet and the whole town was closing up for the day.

It's gorgeous inside Niki's – homely, spacious and there were plenty of tables to choose from.

There were SO many cakes and drinks to choose from – more than I usually see in cafes in England and Wales. I wonder why this is? 





I went for my usual – coffee, and a piece of tiffin to share with Bethan. She got a mint Aero milkshake.
I don't know how Bethan drank that milkshake – it was so sweet and creamy and big! But she loved it.

Newcastle is a relatively small town – village-like, almost – but Niki's is thriving and when we returned for our ulster fry on Saturday the place was packed.

I had been to Ireland once before this trip and eaten the famous soda bread, but fourteen was a loooong time ago and I was excited to taste this again. I have to say, however, that the bacon was my favourite part of the fry. I actually gave half of my soda bread and potato bread to Bethan, but I'm glad I tried it anyway.

If I lived nearer, I'd be at Niki's on a regular basis. The staff were friendly and efficient, and the setting airy, fresh and relaxed. We were all set for a long weekend in Northern Ireland.

Have you been to Niki's? It's surrounded by the Mourne Mountains – the biggest mountains in Northern Ireland – and right on the seafront of a sandy beach. It is absolutely stunning, and worth a visit for an afternoon of relaxing and enjoying life's little luxuries. 

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. I've never been to Northern Ireland before but would love to at some point! Spacious but homely places are the best for feeling comfortable in I think. Looks like you had a lovely time and I just want that fry up to eat now haha!
    lily x
    www.jolihouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a really lovely catch up, I really wish I travelled more I have never been to Ireland, Scotland or Wales and would love to and my god how many drinks?!!! Maybe they sell out quick?! xxx

    Blonde of Carbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds like a lovely place, and all those sweet goodies look amazing! so glad you had a great time with your friend x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! thats place looks lovely - as does the food of course. It seems like you had a really great time. Have a nice rest of your holiday :D x

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like a beautiful region - looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip! Always good to fuel up on coffee beforehand :) enjoy your time off! xx

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig